I offer development editing, line editing, project management and market research for school and university textbook publishers. My clients include Oxford University Press, Collins, SAGE, Pearson and Cambridge University Press. Recent projects include in-depth development editing and project managing of undergraduate, A Level and international GCSE textbooks and teacher resources in subjects including law, psychology, economics, linguistics and sociology. I have conducted market research for digital learning products and textbooks in subjects including business studies, law and psychology. I also offer development editing and English-language editing to academic authors, particularly in psychology.
I am an Advanced Professional Member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP), formerly the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP). This is the highest grade of membership and demonstates my extensive experience, editorial training, continuing professional development and satisfied clients. It also means that I adhere to their high standards and code of practice.
I have over 15 years of in-house academic publishing experience, most recently as Commissioning Editor for Psychology at Cambridge University Press, where for eight years I commissioned scholarly monographs, edited books, handbooks, textbooks and general interest books as well as sensitively managing an extensive front and back list.
Prior to that I developed high-profile university textbooks and associated online resources in a variety of disciplines, including psychology, politics, law, education, nursing, business studies and economics as a (Senior) Development Editor at the major textbook publisher Pearson. I was previously Editorial Assistant (Humanities) at Pearson.
I have a first-class degree in psychology from the University of Cambridge.
My CV is available here.
- Coaching authors through incisive, analytical and supportive comments to develop sophisticated textbook and online projects that support teaching and learning.
- Conducting thorough and varied market research to identify market needs (including telephone interviews, questionnaires, web surveys, face-to-face interviews and focus groups across a variety of subjects) and developing creative solutions. Managing rigorous academic peer review process to ensure books met scholarly and commercial needs of a top university press. Campus calling in a variety of disciplines at over 100 universities internationally.
- Commissioning textbooks, reference works, monographs, edited books, electronic resources and scholarly trade books.
- Writing persuasive copy for a variety of audiences, including back cover blurbs, sales pitches, marketing copy and sales presentations.
- Negotiating contracts and developing strong relationships with a wide range of scholars from new authors to top names in psychology.
- Managing extensive backlist, including transforming new editions of textbooks and handbooks to increase sales, reviving successful monograph series, monitoring stock and working with colleagues to maximise sales potential for backlist titles.
- Strategic management of front list (around 100 titles) including ensuring timely delivery of manuscripts and detailed budget planning.
- Developing and implementing a comprehensive and highly-regarded strategy for the list in order to improve coherence, prestige and sales.
- Delivering engaging and effective presentations of new projects to sales, marketing and senior management.
• Commissioning Editor, Psychology, Cambridge University Press (2008–2016)
• (Senior) Development Editor, Pearson Education (2006–2008)
• Editorial Assistant, Pearson Education (2004–2006)
Qualifications and skills
• Advanced Certificate in Market and Social Research Practice (MRS)
• First-class degree in psychology, University of Cambridge
• Languages: German (intermediate)
• Rewriting and Substantive Editing (The Publishing Training Centre)
• Commissioning and List Management (The Publishing Training Centre)
• Managing Publishing Strategy (The Publishing Training Centre)
• Presentation Skills Course (Speak First)