I offer development editing, line editing, project management and market research for school and university textbook publishers. My clients include Oxford University Press, Collins, SAGE, Pearson, Cambridge University Press, CORE (Curriculum Open-access Resources in Economics) and academic authors. Recent editing projects include in-depth development editing and project managment of undergraduate, A Level and international GCSE textbooks and teacher resources in subjects including law, psychology, economics, linguistics and sociology. Recent market research projects include analysing large-scale student surveys and in-depth lecturer interviews about digital learning products and textbooks.
I am an Advanced Professional Member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP), formerly the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP). This is the highest grade of membership and demonstrates my extensive experience, editorial training, continuing professional development and satisfied clients. I adhere to the CIEP's high standards and code of practice.
The CIEP have published my text Editing Textbooks, a practical guide for editors, as well as two guest blog posts on editing textbooks and editing in Google Docs.
I have nearly 20 years of in-house and freelance publishing experience. Before starting my business in 2016 I was Commissioning Editor for Psychology at Cambridge University Press, where for eight years I commissioned scholarly monographs, handbooks, textbooks and general interest books as well as sensitively managing an extensive front and back list.
Prior to that I developed high-profile university textbooks and associated online resources in a variety of disciplines, including psychology, politics, law, education, nursing, business studies and economics as a (Senior) Development Editor at the major textbook publisher Pearson. I was previously Editorial Assistant (Humanities) at Pearson.
I have a first-class degree in psychology from the University of Cambridge.
My CV is available here.
- Short courses including Macro workshop, Successful Freelancing, Essential Grammar, Word for Practical Editing, Editing Digital Content, Art of Querying (providers include the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading, BookMachine and The Publishing Training Centre), 2019–2022
- Rewriting and Substantive Editing (Non-Fiction) (The Publishing Training Centre), 2019
- Managing Publishing Strategy (The Publishing Training Centre), 2010
- Commissioning and List Management (The Publishing Training Centre), 2009
- Advanced Certificate in Market and Social Research Practice (Market Research Society), 2008
- In-house development editor training (Pearson Education), 2006
• Commissioning Editor, Psychology, Cambridge University Press (2008–2016)
• (Senior) Development Editor, Pearson Education (2006–2008)
• Editorial Assistant, Pearson Education (2004–2006)
Education and skills
• Degree: BA in Social and Political Sciences (Psychology), University of Cambridge
• A Levels: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Psychology and Theatre Studies
• Languages: German (intermediate)